A little about us...

My photo
Canberra, Australia
I'm 20, I study, I work, I play, I eat a lot and sometimes I like to write. I was lucky enough to be blessed with a beautiful daughter, Charlie.

Tuesday 25 November 2014

My Christmas obsession and 5 things you discover after becoming a parent.

Christmas fever has well and truly hit me. I am one of those people who emotionally prepares for Christmas over a matter of months, and wallows in a post-Christmas depression come 26th December. It is my spirit holiday.

Me. In a nutshell.


When we moved from my tiny, dank, jail cell of an apartment to our new house, I left our Christmas decorations behind (even though Duncan apparently reminded me and I said "Yep got it!"). So today was a really sad* day, because we had to buy new Christmas decorations. Soooo annoying. I could think of a million other things I'd rather do with my day.* But don't worry, we got new decorations. Duncan didn't even find me irritating* while I was grabbing pretty much every Christmas-themed item in the shop.

*That's a lie. It was awesome.
*Also a lie. There is nothing else I'd rather do.
*Okay, he found me super irritating. I lost count of how many times he sighed and rolled his eyes.

ANYWAY. Oh my God. When will my ranting ever end.
This post is not about Christmas, believe it or not. It is about what I've learnt since becoming a mother... the good, the bad and the ugly, all the shitty, the smelly, the crazy and the beautiful parts.

1. Sleep is for the weak.
Seriously. Who needs sleep? I love sleep. I freaking love it. Naps are my absolute favourite thing in the world. Ask my family how many calls I've missed due to naps. But since having Charlotte I've learnt that sleep is not essential, and you can function entirely normally with little to no sleep. Okay, mostly normally. I've done exams, finished assignments, cooked meals, washed children, braided hair, cleaned the house, all with no sleep. I'm not gonna say I was happy. I was super cranky and probably scowled at everyone I came into contact with. But you gotta do what you gotta do. 


2. You appreciate your parents a whole lot more.
Being a parent makes you truly realise everything your parents did/still do for you. I used to think my mum was super daggy and totally didn't understand me. Why didn't she just let me MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS. I'M REALLY MATURE. But after I had Charlotte I realised that I know basically nothing and I am very much immature, and my mum was trying to protect me from harm. Parents sacrifice a LOT for you. You know as a mother you'd do anything and everything for your child to have their needs met. Give your mum a hug next time you see her, and remind her you appreciate her. 

3. Life can be shitty sometimes.
I work as a bartender. When people drink excessively, they tend to lose control of their bodily fluids. Luckily, my training at raising a child has prepared me for such a job. Vomit does not bother me. Neither does poop. Do you wanna know how many times Charlotte's poop has gotten on my hand? Probably upwards of 50. I've been projectile vomited on countless times. If Char and I are both sick, I will pause in the middle of cleaning up her vomit to vomit myself, then continue cleaning. She doesn't care about vomiting on me either. She still finds vomit and poo hilarious. She'll do a poop in the toilet and inspect it for ages. Then we'll inspect it together and compare it to other poos she's done. None of these things gross me out, it's all part of having little humans.

4. A woman's body is amazing.
Guys. I brought a human into this world via my body. The thought truly blows my mind. I grew her, birthed her and nourished her. Now she walks and talks, has feelings and a character, laughs and jokes and cries. I did ALL of that, and it's honestly amazing. My body was built for carrying and birthing my children, everything has a function and everything contributes to her growth. After having Charlotte I truly realised that there is more to my body than having a flat stomach and perfect boobs and a round butt. That's the least valuable part of me. I have stretchmarks, and loose skin, and wobbly thighs. And I don't even care. My body does not define my value. I KNOW I am valuable. My body gave me my daughter. So I love all my flaws. I love my stretchmarks, because they tell the story of Charlotte's growth inside me. I love my mastitis scar, because it tells the story of my struggle and pain with breastfeeding and mastitis. I can't wait to show them to Charlotte when she's older and share with her our journey! 

5. Lastly, the love a child gives you.

Pretty much sums it up.





No comments:

Post a Comment