A little about us...

My photo
Canberra, Australia
I'm 20, I study, I work, I play, I eat a lot and sometimes I like to write. I was lucky enough to be blessed with a beautiful daughter, Charlie.

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Exam procrastination and the great breakfast debate.

If this whole teaching thing doesn't work out, I definitely have a back-up career in professional procrastination. I'm a profesh procrastinator. My procrastination comes in all shapes and sizes. For example: procrasticleaning. I will suddenly discover 84 extremely urgent chores that I MUST address before even THINKING about my assignment. It is not unlike me to wash my car, sort clothes, change sheets or put 6 loads of washing on when I have a 50% unit plan due the next day. I also procrastiblog, apparently. And procrastiwhine (who doesn't?)... the list goes on.

So, while I am meant to be studying for my exam on Friday, which is a unit that I just wallow in, show up to occasionally and desperately rely on my friend's knowledge of.. I'll tell you a little story.

Charlotte is the worst - and I mean THE WORST - breakfast eater known to man. Or even eater in general. Really, she only eats yellow food. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. But if it's not yellow, it's not goin' in that kid's mouth. Her diet basically consists of cheese, bread, macaroni and cheese, corn, mashed potato, bananas or spaghetti. And when I say spaghetti, I mean just boiled spaghetti pasta with absolutely no topping. If I'm lucky, or if she's feeling kind (okay... if I bribe her) she will eat oranges, apples, sausages and MAYBE tuna. She claims she eats tuna. Just not for me. One time she even ate baby spinach but I had to give her an old Easter egg after (disclaimer: this excludes, of course, all foods that typical children eat, like lollies, jelly, fairy floss, ice blocks etc). So pretty much, her dinner every night is a combination of those foods, and ALWAYS includes corn.

But what drives me nuts is breakfast. Breakfast takes probably 1.5 hours to eat. And being a studying/working mother, I don't have time for that shit. I am pretty much yelling every morning, "EEEEAAATTT YOOOOUUURRR BRRREEAAAKFAAAASST" like some sort of repetitive, tourette syndrome-having psychopath, and every morning she yells back "I. AAAMMMM," which is a downright lie because she most certainly is not.

Here is Charlotte, when she was MEANT to be eating her breakfast.

My question: does it ever end? Am I destined to make separate meals for all of my fussy, yellow-food eating children? I know the saying "If you don't eat dinner, you don't eat anything" but then how do you cope with the constant "I'm HUUUUNGRYYYY" that follows? It makes me want to do a Van Gogh and literally rip my ears off. And what is so good about yellow food? Someone enlighten me so I can keep my sanity. 

My exam calls. If you see a manic, crying, mumbling crazy person huddled in a corner somewhere, feverishly reading notes and then eating them, come and say hi. I won't bite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment